[AR Standards Discussion] Wrap up of Program Committee member meeting January 31

jacques lemordant jacques.lemordant at inria.fr
Thu Feb 3 04:08:36 EST 2011

Hi Philipp,
I was supporting XML3D (against X3D)at the last AR Standards meeting in Seoul.
> The goal of XML3D is to embed declarative 3D scene descriptions directly
> into any HTML document via a couple of new HTML elements (just like SVG
> for 2D in HTML5 today). Essentially, we want to enable any Web developer
> to easily start using 3D graphics in any project without leaving his/her
> common programming environment.

We have the same goal with 3D interactive audio and  have defined an XML format called A2ML for it.
it's very similar to SVG with embedded SMIL for synchronization.
Would be nice to put it in HTML5 like with SVG.

We have an A2ML sound engine running on iOS and an iOS AR browser  with content in HTML5 and A2ML.
It's based on the webkit and is able to read an XML POIs format
(So we could probably test XML3D on the iPhone rather easily in the context of an AR application)

         xmlns:poap="http://wam.inria.fr/poap/0.1/"
         xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">

         <poap:Poi rdf:ID="GVAjardinDeVille">
                  <poap:name>Jardin de Ville</poap:name>
                  <poap:coordinates lat="45.1925890" lon="5.726197" ele="217.861"/>
                  <foaf:maker rdf:resource="http://wam.inrialpes.fr/rdf/foaf/Audrey-Colbrant.rdf"/>
                  <poap:update timestamp="2010-11-01T18:17:44Z"/>
                  <poap:panoramic rdf:resource="./resource/panorama/jardinDeVille.jpg" type="hemispherical"/>
                  <poap:content doctype="html5" rdf:resource="./resource/content/jardinDeVille.html"/>
                  <poap:audio rdf:resource="./resource/atmosphere/jardinVilleAtmosphere.mp3"/>
                   <poap:graphics rdf:resource="./resource/atmosphere/jardinVilleAtmosphere.xml3d"/>
                  <poap:triggering radius="5.5" />
                  <poap:visibility radius="4.5" />
                  <poap:channel category="parc"/>
         </poap:Poi>
</rdf:RDF>

> XML3D has been presented to the W3C at the last TPAC meeting in Lyon and
> we have been asked to start a W3C Incubator group preparing possible
> standardization in this area.
A2ML was presented at the last TPAC meeting with a live demo of an ARA application( guidance of visually impaired people in Grenoble with a remote console in Lyon)
We hope to have something like A2ML  standardized one day by the W3C audio working group.

jacques