[AR Standards Discussion] Wrap up of Program Committee member meeting January 31

Thomas Wrobel darkflame at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 08:43:22 EST 2011

I just like to chip-in and apologize for not being able to follow up
on the conversation here earlier.
Fortunately it seems Jens understood my concerns well and argued them
on my on my behalf.

Just one thing I would like to address though is the easyness of
content creation, because I do think content creation in some regards
should be relatively simple, but I think with AR theres at least two
distinct types of content creation, that separates it somewhat from
the 2d web;

1. Basic "inline" data which is small and doesn't need an external
files of any sort.  The most obvious use of this would just be a
floating billboard - a text annotation to the world. Clearly it would
be a waste of bandwidth to model this separately as a 3d file and load
it in.   All thats, essentially, needed is the text, location
information, and possibly a few other fields.
 I think this sort of AR content should be as simple as possible -
preferably more simple even then making a webpage is today. That is,
more simple then HTML.

2. More elaborate mesh's, modeled in Blender, Max etc, that are
positioned in world-space but have separate files storing their actual
mesh data. I think, while the positioning should be as simple as
above, the data itself isn't ever going to be particularly easy to
create, and will always need a different skillset to html. (all though
I daresay "Google Sketchup" like solutions might emerge to make 3d
creation a simple as possible).

I personally think that html formatting doesn't offer advantages for
either of these creation scenarios.

Where html formatting would be strong would be in a 3rd scenario;
Complex 3d scenes coded by hand from primitives.(rather then by 3d
software). This would be somewhat akin to the structure of webpage in
that elements could be positioned relative or within eachother.
However, I'm not sure I see any thing usefull that can be done in this
scenario. I think the majority of content will fall into the first two
scenario's.

I do think we shouldn't reinvent the wheel, however. Which is why I am
in favour of possibly borrowing elements from CSS where they seem to
fit. ("Left: 50%" might not make much sense in 3D space, but font
handling and styling certainly will still be applicable).

-Thomas

~~~~~~
Reviews of anything, by anyone;
www.rateoholic.co.uk
Please try out my new site and give feedback :)