[AR Standards Discussion] Wrap up of Program Committee member meeting January 31

Dirk Groten dirk at layar.com
Fri Feb 4 19:01:32 EST 2011

Hi Thomas,
Great post about the two types of AR content you see. While I agree
that these are the two most obvious types, I'm not so sure they're the
only ones. Creativity will find its way and surprise us.

Regarding the first type: why wouldn't HTML be the most obvious way to
'program' these floating billboards? There's a lot of web content
already existing that could be fit into such a space (think of all the
widgets) and that is already in HTML.

We currently offer predefined spaces in the current AR browsers where
you only need to define a few fields. But this is clearly limiting
creativity, so the most quick route to unlock a lot of content is to
go the HTML route. I don't think that extending the Layar JSON API
definition in a proprietary (though open) way would make it that easy
for content publishers to create the 'flat' billboards. The HTML/CSS
box model perfectly fits such a scenario.

What do you think?

Dirk Groten | CTO Layar | +31 623 08 0177

Sent from my iPhone